Monday, December 15, 2008

If at first you don't succeed

Left work just before seven and, as there wasn't a whole lot of edible food in the house, decided to go to the store. I got on the cable car at Sansome. At Montgomery we were passed by a fire truck. Then we came to a halt d/t the cable car stopped on the far side of Kearney. According to the brakeman's walkie talkie, it was a bad accident at Grant, with traffic stopped in both directions. I looked uphill and saw a lot of flashing lights.
"I think I'll catch a bus," I said.
"Aw, giving up so soon?" said the brakeman.
"What can I say? I'm a quitter like that," I replied.
I walked up to Sacramento and waited. A jam-packed bus blew by. A few drops of rain fell. I sighed petulantly and hailed a cab.
"California and Hyde," I told the cabbie, "but there's an accident on California..."


Today's earrings: suns, rabbits

Bedtime reading: Hare Sitting Up, Michael Innes

No comments:

Post a Comment