Thursday, November 27, 2008

Feast Day

I got to M's about 10:30. We discussed the relative merits of tenting, flipping mid-bake, and swathing with bacon. (Guess which we settled on?) She wanted to hold off on putting the bird in the oven - it was only 10 pounds, and not stuffed - but I urged immediate action, on the grounds that the bird always takes at least half an hour longer than expected. We ended up putting it in just before 11. Then we took wine, cheese, and crackers and sat down to play backgammon in her living room. We finished the bottle not long after noon. The turkey was done about the same time... and dinner was set for 2. My bad.

CC & AL arrived about 1, and were pressed into cooking, as M & I were not inclined to take it very seriously at that point. M had had the foresight to do all the prep work yesterday, so it wasn't too arduous. Then the other guests arrived, and I swanned off to the living room to chat and eat canapes. Eventually I answered the call to make gravy. About then, the Requisite Disaster occurred: the pan holding the potatoes broke in the oven. We got it out, and even salvaged some potatoes.

Dinner was most tasty - good turkey, yummy dressing, and a green salad for me. :) I took a nap. Then there was pie. After, we played the shortest game of Risk ever: AL won in three turns. The other guests drifted off. K&S called. M let me watch the Survivor clip show. (They left out Randy's racist tirades.) And now we are watching Zodiac. I don't think Robert Graysmith was nearly as stupid as they're making out...

eta: the color of the day was BLUE.


Today's earrings: sapphires, bronze triangles

Bedtime reading: Pyramids, Terry Pratchett

1 comment: