Monday, September 22, 2008

Equinox

Started with the usual Monday routine. At noon, I headed home to meet the plumber. I arrived to find Mrs. M (the building manager) chatting with S (the woman down the hall from me).
"We've broken into your apartment!" cried Mrs. M, gaily.
And they had. Apparently replacing a flushing mechanism takes no time at all. At least, not for my old friend Competent Plumber (love him!). They were running ahead of schedule and started without me. After they left, I had a grilled cheese sandwich.

Then I took the 49 down to the Mission and dropped off the application for that apartment. Caught the 14 back toward downtown. Around 12th Street the chattering drunk sitting behind me said something that offended one of the dudes in the back of the bus. The dude spoke sharply enough to the drunk that people got up and moved toward the front of the bus. Fellow riders began expressing opinions. I though the most sensible was, "Dude, let him talk, he's just Drunk." Less sensible was the woman sitting next to me, who began threatening to call the cops, who, she said, would surround the bus and they'd all be stuck there. Uh-huh. She didn't lower the temperature all that much, but Dude and Drunk did intermittently join together in their contempt for her. All this went on until 4th Street, when she got off, and the drunk started chattering freely again, and the dude started speaking sharply again...

I got off at 2nd, grabbed a wee slurpee from the 7-11 on Market, and went back to work.

After work I stopped in at Whole Foods for supplies, then came home and made cream-of-grilled-salmon soup. mmmm, soup.


Today's earrings: irons, anchors

Bedtime reading: Night Watch, Terry Pratchett

No comments:

Post a Comment