Friday, September 12, 2008

400th post

The headline was:

_________!
IF LIFE'S A BLANK
TAKE NUTRAX

"And in any case," grumbled Tallboy, "the Morning Star won't take it. They won't put in anything that looks like bad language."
"Your look-out," said Ingleby. "Why not ask'em?"
Tallboy muttered something impolite.
"Anyway, if Hankin's passed it, it'll have to be laid out, I suppose," said Ingleby. "Surely the studio - oh! hullo! here's your man. You'd better worry him. Bredon!"
"That's me!" said Mr. Bredon, "All present and correct!"
"Where've you been hiding from Tallboy? You knew he was on your tail."
"I've been on the roof," admitted Bredon, apologetically. "Cooler and all that. What's the matter? What have I done?"
"Well, this headline of yours, Mr. Bredon. How do you expect them to illustrate it?"
"I don't know. I left it to their ingenuity. I always believe in leaving scope to other people's imagination."
"How on earth are they to draw a blank?"
"Let 'em take a ticket in the Irish Sweep. That'll larn 'em," said Ingleby.

- - Dorothy L. Sayers


Today's earrings: hands, basketweave spoons

Bedtime reading: Interesting Times, Terry Pratchett

No comments:

Post a Comment