Thursday, December 13, 2007

Thanks, Uncle Chas

He gave me my first ginger beer. It was way back in the early nineties, the first time I drove across country. I stopped at Chas & Chris's, and they took me in & fed me, let me take a shower, all the good stuff. Chas took me down into the basement and gave me a ginger beer out of an old freezer. That stuff had some kick. It was very unfamiliar-tasting, and I didn't know if liked it. Subsequent experiment has shown that I do like it, a lot.

He was also the first person I ever saw order hot water in a restaurant. Just plain hot water. I was bewildered. Unflavored water with a meal was a brand new concept. We drank milk with meals at home and sodas with meals in restaurants. And hot water? Why would one want that? Entwined with that marvel was another: hot water was not listed on the menu. And they just brought it to him! You can order stuff that's not on the menu!

It was a major step to figuring out that the world I navigated was a box, and that I need not stay in it.


Right now, though, I want cozy.


Today's earrings: sapphires, citrine teardrops

Bedtime reading: The Golden Compass, Philip Pullman

No comments:

Post a Comment