Saturday, July 5, 2008

Actual phone call

- Hello
[gap]
- - Hello
- Hello?
- - Hello, is this Mrs. John?*
- Who's calling, please?
- - This is Name, from Pseudo-Patriotic Group, and I'm calling to talk about the ACLU's latest threat to America.
- [Draws breath to point out that the real threat to America comes from the people who brought us the FISA bill.]
- - May I speak to Elton?**
- [Burst of laughter]
- - Uhm...
- Elton John? You're calling for Elton John? [laughter] I've never met him, though I do admire his songwriting.
- - Oh, I guess I have the wrong number. Sorry. [click]

I'm trying to figure out whether that was 100% prank call, or whether some bizarre chain of events led to a Pseudo-Patriotic Group getting my phone number with Elton John's name attached and then handing that section of their call list to someone for whom the name "Elton John" rang no bells.

It's good to start the day with a laugh.

__________________________________
*Not quite my surname.
**Not my name, at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment