Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Eventful weekend

Friday, my esteemed boss sent me a link to PirateFest. I was immediately enthused. Not to go to PirateFest, mind you, but to intend to go, to make no plan and take no action that would lead to me getting there, to say "arrrgh" at random intervals, and to be mildly disappointed when the weekend ended and I hadn't been to PirateFest. I felt this was an excellent plan and I was enthusiastic about it.

Saturday I washed my dishes. Huge mistake. I pulled the plug and the water did not go AWAY (as prophesied and promised by the Blue Man Group) but instead flooded the cabinet under the sink and flowed onto the kitchen floor. I scurried to remove my beautiful rug from harm's way, then mopped up the dishwater.

That spoiled my plan pretty thoroughly. Instead of spending the weekend intending to go to PirateFest, I spent the weekend anticipating the plumber. This was much less fun, as it involved tidying the front room, kitchen, and bathroom because someone would see them. The detritus of the tidying is now all in my room. I still have to re-scatter it all throughout the place.

Monday morning the plumber dude arrived. It was the same guy who installed my water heater; he was once again both pleasant and competent. He pulled the old pipe out from under the sink (giant rusted-out patch; I'm astonished the pipe lasted as long as it did) and had all new piping installed in less than an hour. Plumber dude, you rock.

I am, however, left wondering if the Universe is trying to tell me to move that rug out of the kitchen on a permanent basis.


Today's earrings: flowers, teaspoons

Bedtime reading: Robinson, Muriel Spark

1 comment:

  1. It has not been a good week for rugs. You have plumbing detritus, we have cat barf.

    And for the record, may I say "AAARRRGGGHHHH!"

    ReplyDelete