Monday, May 5, 2008

Constructive

I did nothing all day while the contractors loaded in the new kitchen cabinets. Early afternoon, the Lead Contractor Dude came and said, "I got a question."
"Um, OK," I said, "I don't know how much help I'll be."
"I thought she said her sister designed this."
"She did. There are four of us."
"Oh. Well, we seem to be short one 24" cabinet and have two extra 30" cabinets."
We stared at the plans. We re-counted the cabinets. We stared at the plans. We stared at the cabinets. We put in a call to K, who was in a meeting and would call back.
Finally I said, "Would any of the cabinets already attached to the wall fit the description of the cabinet we're missing?"
A lightbulb went on over his head. The specs for the cabinet over the sink had changed, and been penciled in, but they'd followed the old specs instead of the new. A feeling of general enlightenment and relief filled the kitchen. K called back and had a productive conversation with the Lead Contractor Dude, incidentally solving the mystery of the two extra 30" cabinets.
I went back to doing nothing.

At eventide, everyone came home and S hung doors while K placed shelves and Tiger and I got in the way. I took pictures. Then we all went out to dinner.


Today's earrings: squirrels, kangaroos

Bedtime reading: _L. Frank Baum_, Katharine M. Rogers

No comments:

Post a Comment