Friday, August 3, 2007

Places to go

I fell in behind a guy with a beard going up the stairs at Embarcadero Station. We both got on the cable car.

The cable car conductor told me I was sitting there so peaceful, he wondered... He said he didn't think I was just getting off work, and I wasn't coming from the bars, and he knew I wasn't a tourist [I used a fast pass], so he wondered. I told him I'd come from my brother-in-law's birthday dinner, which we'd capped off with a game of Scrabble. "I knew it was something nice," he said. I don't know that I'm comfortable being so patently respectable.

I got off at the market, and I found myself following the same guy with the beard across the street and into the store. He grabbed a basket; I grabbed a basket. We were both heading for the produce section when he suddenly, with a backward glance, peeled off at the bakery counter. I think he thought I was following him. Maybe I'm not so patently respectable after all. :)


Today's earrings: compasses

Bedtime reading: Howl's Moving Castle, Diana Wynn Jones

No comments:

Post a Comment