Monday, June 4, 2007

Rosewood

So I'm in Stacey's, checking to see if Matt Ruff has a new book out (no) when a guy in a wheelchair speeds by and stops at the reference desk. Dude is mad. He's bitching loudly about the homeless guy. The staff at the reference desk calls for the manager.

(The homeless guy, for those of you who aren't evening regulars at Stacey's, is there every evening. The management at Stacey's lets him keep his cart in a storage closet near the front of the store.)

I've passed up that Tanith Lee I keep passing up and moved on to looking for new titles by Margaret Maron & Nancy Martin (no), and the manager is trying to placate the guy in the wheelchair. Somehow they ended up right next to the mystery section. He's offering to help the guy in the wheelchair get any title he likes. The guy in the wheelchair is talking loudly about how the homeless guy is in the way and junking up the place.

(The homeless guy can be in the way if you want to get a look at the Dan Brown or Agatha Christie at the same time he's pulling his stuff out. And he's obviously a homeless guy, and unaesthetic. I'm not convinced it's a wise business decision to let the guy store his things there - but it's a decision they've long since made.)

The manager is trying to tell the guy in the wheelchair that the homeless guy has been coming in for years, and... I don't know where he was going with that, because the guy in the wheelchair interrupted him to say that he doesn't care; he will be filing suit against Stacey's under the ADA. The manager says he's sorry to hear that. The guy in the wheelchair says again that he's filing suit under the ADA. The manager says again he's sorry to hear that, apologizes that wheelchair guy feels inconvenienced... and walks away. Wheelchair guy is totally sputtering. I brush past him into the next alcove to check whether there's a new Donna Andrews (no), and there's the homeless guy, kinda in the way. I didn't talk to the homeless guy (I never do; I have class issues), but y'know, I suspect that if asked, he'd move his stuff out of my way.

Dude would rather cause a scene and threaten a lawsuit than talk to a homeless guy. I shake my head.


Today's earrings: roses, wood rounds

Bedtime reading: Foundation, Isaac Asimov

1 comment:

  1. Reader's request: can you please post your jury duty story, aka "scary cane guy vs. drunk guy."

    ReplyDelete