Monday, January 28, 2008

I was wrapping up at work

...and just about had a seizure when I realized Newbie was standing next to my desk, watching me. I pulled off the headphones, and she said she was sorry for startling me, but she was sure I'd been listening to some nation's budget speech and making diligent notes and hadn't wanted to interrupt. But she did need to ask about a column header.

Ever had someone describe you to you, and in doing so, they reveal that their conception of you has fuck-all to do with the you you know?

I told her the name of the column header. I told her the sounds in my headphones were Blondie, singing "One Way Or Another;" the notes I was making were on where to pick up tomorrow morning so I could finish cleaning up the mess I made on Saturday. I printed out a copy of my handy-dandy column header cheat sheet for her. Then I left.

I'm still not sure whether she's beaming it in from a parallel dimension, or if it's all a massive put-on.


Today's earrings: bees, typewriter keys

Bedtime reading: Silence Observed, Michael Innes

1 comment:

  1. I have a student who desperately wants me to help him write Star Wars fan fic. I finally had to spell it out for him, one word at a time, that I was a non-fiction writer and a dry well for story ideas.

    And I have no interest in fan fic.

    Not even for Lucas.

    I think he may have gone home to pray for my lost soul.

    ReplyDelete