Monday, March 23, 2009

Work fun

Got an email from my boss, forwarded from a potential customer through Sales Dude, asking what info I had on Big Mess,* and how are the relevant footnotes set up in the production database? She was thinking of having IT extract the info from the footnotes, and wanted to know how much trouble the programmers were going to have.

I responded with a spreadsheet that has all the info that the customer was looking for about Big Mess in sortable, searchable format. The Sales Assistant stopped by my desk a little later, and I pruned it a bit for him, and told him the parts he'd have to trim himself because I didn't have time. Later that afternoon, I got a thank-you forward from Sales Dude; he'd sent a bonsai version of my spreadsheet along to the potential customer.

I looked spiffy-golden, so that was nice. But should I have told them about the two weeks I spent setting up that spreadsheet?


Today's earrings: racing camels, suns

Bedtime reading: Pyramids, Terry Pratchett
_________________________________
* Big Mess is a subject that the US government has documented rather shoddily. Their sloppy approach to cross-referencing does not deter them from assessing massive penalties if an importer messes up.

No comments:

Post a Comment