Monday, March 2, 2009

At the market

I wanted some Golden Delicious, but an old guy had his cart parked in front of them. I went and found myself a nice pepper. Came back to find him still standing there. I started looking over apples while edging his cart out of my way all subtle-like, and he pulled his cart back a few inches. About then I realized that he was still standing there because he was pulling bunches of plastic bags off the spinner and squirreling them away.

He said something about the price of apples being too high. I was in a good mood, so I said something about the Apple Pickers' Union doing well for themselves. "Too well," he snarled back. Uh-huh. I chose a pair of apples while he muttered about prices being too high, and as I walked away I heard him say something about how I don't know what a Depression is like.

I was all the way around to the cheese aisle (still humming Woody Guthrie) when it occurred to me that he probably didn't know what a Depression was like, either. That man didn't look a day over 70.


Today's earrings: frogs, coins

Bedtime reading: Lafferty in Orbit, R.A. Lafferty

1 comment:

  1. LOL - that's what I was thinking before I read your last paragraph. It's like the guys who used to stand on the corner saying they were Vietnam vets when they looked about maybe five years older than I did. I always liked the Class A insignia they wore on the BDUs as well (i.e. the pretty yellow things on the camoflague - you know, stuff that stands out and gets you shot.)


    b2

    ReplyDelete