Friday, January 9, 2009

On the current Doctors

At first, I thought it was Billie Piper. And I do find her fairly annoying as Rose Tyler. Then I saw her as Fanny Price in Mansfield Park, and I realized that Billie Piper qua Billie Piper wasn't the problem.

Then I wondered if it was Eccleston. Things improved so much when David Tennant took over. But no, Eccleston's done plenty of good work. He's not the source of the trouble either.

Then I caught the episode about the scribbling alien who was possessing the little girl, and I realized it's the writing, mostly, and the direction. That's where the trouble lies. I mean, who were they trying to kid with the "torch of love" crap? Nonsense scribbled on a anvil and thrown at my head, that's what that was. Much like the episode that made me bail mid-episode on Nine, with the idiotic philosophical conversations with the last condemned Slitheen - they wrote a silly bit of self-importance, and asked the actors to deliver it pontifically.

I blame the writers.


Today's earrings: leaves, crows

Bedtime reading: Smoke and Mirrors, Neil Gaiman

No comments:

Post a Comment