Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Swinishness

A word sadly little-used, swinishness. Even spell check rejects it.
My morale was high. I needed a job, but that, which should have been a depressing factor when viewed in cold blood, in fact simply was not. Neither was the swinishness of my landlord, a Mr Alexander, short of stature. I was reluctant to go home lest he should waylay me. I owed him no rent but he kept insisting that I should take a larger and more expensive room in his house, seeing that I had overcrowded the small single room with my books, my papers, my boxes and bags, my food stores and the evidence of constant visitors who stayed to tea or came late.

So far I had stood up to the landlord’s claim that I was virtually living a double-room life for single-room pay. At the same time I was fascinated by his swinishness...
- - Muriel Spark, Loitering with Intent


Today's earrings: pigs, citrine teardrops

Bedtime reading: The Truth, Terry Pratchett

1 comment:

  1. You could have told us what it means, for us non-native speakers. I don't know what "waylay" means either...

    ReplyDelete